English - Laminated Tool
The L-eat (Revised 2013)
The Elite Way To Latch: Empower, Attach, Transfer!
What is L-eat?
- A laminated, write-on, wipe-off charting /observation/assessment / intervention latching tool
- An evidenced-based, fully-referenced, step-by-step guide intended to be used as a hands-off or hands-on assessment tool.
- It is the perfect charting tool that may be used by the practitioner for charting
Who Can use L-Eat?
- L-Eat may be used by anyone assisting the mother with breastfeeding: Doctors, Midwives, Nurses, Lactation Consultants, Doulas, the mother's partner, or the mother herself.
How Does L-Eat Work?
- The support person holds the tool and reads off the steps to the mother, who latches the baby on her own with the verbal guidance read off from the tool.
- The practitioner and mother go through it together while, at each step, mother assesses whether she has addressed her own concerns
- In this way, mother learns to latch baby by herself while the practitioner is able to record mother's progress
- Meanwhile, the support person checks off the boxes that apply according to the mother's responses to the questions/statements on the tool - this is the charting part
- Once the charting is completed the completed chart is then photocopied twice: one copy for mother to take home, one copy is kept for the mother's chart
- May use any kind of marker, but water-based or dry erase markers work best
- The tool is then wiped clean ready to use for the next patient
When is it indicated to use the L-Eat tool?
- This tool is used for prevention and treatment of sore nipples/sore breasts, low milk supply, fussy baby, sleepy baby, too-frequent feedings, long feedings
- May be used for the mother and baby on first or subsequent latching to prevent problems
- May be used at any stage during lactation when there are problems or to diagnose and treat problems